I decided to give the 131 Online Program a try because I wanted more in-depth information on the process and phases of the 131 Method.
The online program goes into much more detailed information about the reasons and the science behind each phase. I wanted to learn more so doing the online program seemed like the next logical step.
Now that I have completed the online program I thought some of you may have some questions so this post is all about the 131 Method online program and the ever burning question….does it work?
What IS the 131 Method Online Program?
The 131 Method online program is a 90 day eating lifestyle designed to teach the basics about how certain food may be affecting you. If you are struggling with constipation, bloating, water retention, skin rashes, diarrhea, the inability to lose weight etc….. please know that all of these issues may have a direct connection to the food you are putting into your body.
These foods may be causing gut inflammation and hormone imbalances.
Once you sign up for the program, you will be sent an email. In this email will be a link to the online program. Once in the online program, you will need to set up a profile before you can access the lessons.
In this profile set up, you will put in your goals and what you hope to achieve when on the program. The initial goal that I put in was to stop the insatiable cravings for ALL THINGS SWEET….especially chocolate chips after dinner…. every single night.
Every week you will be sent an email letting you know what week and phase you are doing. You will be given access to your 131 program syllabus one phase at a time. This is done so as to not overwhelm you. There is a lot of information in each phase.
Once you have created your profile, I would highly suggest you listen to the welcome lessons first. These quick 10 – 15 minute tutorials give an overview of the program, how and why it’s recommended to take before and after photos, plus how to navigate through the online program.
Once you’ve listened to these lessons, then you can begin listening to the required lessons under the “IGNITE” tab.
Ignite is where you begin. There are required lessons and optional lessons. The required lessons explain all about the ignite phase, what you are doing in the ignite phase and most importantly – WHY.
You are given meal plans if you aren’t sure where to start or what to make. You are given a VERY indepth shopping list. I suggest you take this list and only buy things from it that you are going to need based on the recipes you plan on using. The shopping list can seem very daunting so please know that you don’t need to buy everything on this list. Buy what you need based on the recipes you are going to make.
There are a bunch of downloads pertaining to the Ignite phase that you can print off. Here are a few:
- Shopping List
- Shopping Tips
- Meal Plan Ideas
- Nutrition Solutions for Common Side Effects
- Inflammatory Foods Guide
- How To Track Your Macros
- Carb Count in Every day Foods
What Is the Ignite Phase?
As I’ve explained in my previous blog post, the Ignite Phase of the 131 Method focuses on turning you from being a sugar burner into a fat burner. And to do this you lower your carb intake and increase your fat intake (good fats, of course).
“This phase is meant to kickstart your metabolism, balance your hormones, reduce inflammation and begin to build a healthy gut” (quote from the 131 online program).
How do you do this? You’ll learn how to do this in the Ignite Phase through timing your meals and changing your macros.
The lessons in the Ignite Phase cover:
- What you’re doing in Ignite
- Ketosis and Ketogenic Eating
- What are Macros and How To Track
- Intermittent Fasting for Fat Burning
- Fasting for Health
These lessons are audio and are 15 – 20 minutes in length. You can listen to these lessons pretty much anywhere. Plus if you prefer to read the lesson, they have transcripts of each lesson that you can print off or read online.
Once you have listened to all of the required lessons, you can then listen to the optional lessons. There is one optional lesson for Ignite and it’s titled “Leaky Gut”.
After you have listened to all the lessons, you can then begin prepping for your 4 weeks on Ignite.
There is a section of the program titled “Recipes”. There are over 600 recipes! If you have listened to the “WELCOME” section of the program, then you will know how to work your way around the recipes. If not, refer back to the “WELCOME” section.
Once you have it figured out, you can pick and choose recipes based on the phase you are in. Once you have your recipes you can then shop for the items you will need to make the recipes you have chosen.
From there, you being your IGNITE PHASE and SLAY IT!
Pros and Cons of the Ignite Phase
This is an honest review and I am now going to share with you my pros and cons of the Ignite Phase. Keep in mind that this was solely my experience. I am sharing this with you to help inform you, so you can decide for yourself whether this program is for you.
- The lessons were easy to understand and quick to go through
- The meal plans were great to use when I had no idea where to start
- The print offs were a great tool to have on hand
- Intermittent Fasting is an option – not something you HAVE to do.
- The recipe section can be a bit daunting to figure out if you haven’t gone through the “getting started” tutorial.
- Intermittent Fasting can be daunting
- Getting the hang of an app for tracking macros can be confusing – especially if you have never used an app like this.
- If you struggle or have had issues with constipation, you really need to be aware of this and listen to your body.
After 4 weeks on the Ignite Phase, you are now ready to move on to the Nourish Phase.
Once again the “required lessons” tab will fill you in on what the Nourish Phase is, what you will be doing in the Nourish Phase and most importantly – WHY.
Here are the lessons for Nourish. Again, you can print off the transcripts or listen to each lesson via audio.
- What you’re doing in Nourish
- Micronutrient Management
- What you need to know about meat and too much protein
- Hunger, Appetite and Emotional Eating
- Fasting for Health
Optional lessons are available to listen to on this phase as well.
Another tab you can access as well is called “Club Content”. This section will have extra information that you can access with regards to your current phase. Most of these links are quick articles or videos on the 131 Method website.
What is the Nourish Phase?
This phase is building on what you have learned in the Ignite Phase. The main objective of this phase is “to accelerate gut healing and optimize all functions of the body by increasing the intake of micronutrient dense superfoods”.
You’ll also continue to learn how you’ll monitor your macros, intuitively intermittent fast and how to “decrease animal protein, while increasing plants”.
You should be able to listen to all the audio lessons in about an hour and a half. The last days of the Ignite Phase is a great time to start preparing for the Nourish Phase.
Again, there are TONS of recipes to choose from in the Nourish Phase. One of my favorite recipes is the Carrot Walnut Burger!
The key to rocking another phase is to be prepared! Having your meals planned goes a long way in being successful in this lifestyle.
Now you have the broad basics of the Nourish Phase, let me go over some pros and cons of this phase.
Pros and Cons of the Nourish Phase
- If you struggle with constipation, this phase will fix that! All of the plants you eat will keep you regular!
- Trying new foods is always fun! Figuring out which vegan recipe you like is a good, mind opening experience.
- You’ll notice how your skin glows by the end of the 4 weeks…for realz! My skin was amazing in this phase.
- If you have kids who are used to having meat every day with every meal, this phase will not be their favorite. Because of this, you may find it hard to choose dinner recipes that you all enjoy. You may have to improvise or make two meals. I found recipes that I could add meat to as a side dish. I also tried to feed my kids some of the straight vegan meals, but none of them went over very well.
- The prep time is a lot more on this phase. Especially if you know your kids won’t like the recipe, you’ll need to take a little more time to find recipes that can work with meat being added to it.
- Grass fed/grass finished beef is expensive. Yes, the purpose of this phase it to focus more on plant based eating (which means only eating meat 3 times a week). However, as important as it is to eat healthy good quality meat, the cost can be an issue for a lot of people.
This phase is the final phase in the 131 Method online program. As with all the lessons on this program, the Renew Phase will be explained to you and you’ll be given the Why’s as well.
If you need some meal ideas, then the meal plans under the downloads are a fabulous place to start! Some other downloads under the Renew Phase are:
- What You Are Doing In Renew
- Meal Plans
- Exercise While Phasing
What is the Renew Phase?
This phase is better known as your “real life” phase. You will take a break from intermittent fasting and let your hunger be your guide. Then you will learn what your are eating and HOW you are eating every couple of days. This is called Macrophasing. The required lessons are as follows:
- What You’re Doing in Renew
- Macrophasing Explained
- Your Meal Plan in Detail
- Fasting for Health
- 131 Lifestyle, What To Do Next
Like with the other two phases, these lessons are 15 – 20 minutes each. They are in audio form or you can read the transcripts. This phase will require a bit more planning as your macros will be changing often throughout the week.
The meal plans are great guidelines to help give you ideas and make everything less confusing.
This last phase was the BEST and the WORST for me. Here are my pros and cons for this phase.
Pros and Cons of the Renew Phase
- You eat healthy, high quality carbs! I did enjoy the other two phases, but enjoying a wider variety of carbs, that are not just veggies, is a nice change
- You can make the days work for you! Plan on going out for lunch? Awesome! Switch up your days to make that lunch date work for you.
- NO intermittent fasting! Listen to your body and eat when you are hungry!
- Some people get really, really hungry – all the time – in this phase. It was hard for me to determine if it was true hunger or emotional hunger.
- Listening to your body and eating when hungry takes practise and the first time around you may struggle with this.
- Due to the higher carb intake, you may experience some weight gain.
After 4 weeks on the Renew Phase, you can choose to start back on the Ignite Phase or keep doing a Renew-type lifestyle. If you want to keep doing the 131 online program, you will need to pay monthly to still have access to all the recipes and information
Overall Pros and Cons Of The 131 Online Program
I am now finished the online program and wanted to share the overall pros and cons.
When it comes to a diet and lifestyle change, the 131 online program is a total 180 to what most people are accustomed to. You MUST be in the right mindset for this lifestyle to work. With that being said, let’s go over my pros and cons of this program.
- The 131 online program is filled with lots of support and information. Have a question regarding the program? No problem! There’s a tab where you can ask a dietician. Simply type in your question and they will get back to you with an answer.
- Each phase is explained in great length. As long as you listen to the required lessons, the phases will be straight forward and make sense.
- Need some moral support? The online 131 program has a tab you can go to and connect with others who are doing the 131 program as well. You can share your victories, your struggles, your questions, etc…..
- Recipes galore! There are so many recipes to choose from and more are added all the time.
- This program is always changing. More phases will be added in 2020 which is exciting.
- The program works! There are no hard and fast rules. You make this program/lifestyle work for YOU!
- Once you sign up for the program, you are inundated with emails. Some are helpful such as knowing what phase and week of the phase you are in. Some are annoying and can be overwhelming.
- There is a lot of information to take in! This can be daunting and if you are not in the right mindset, then this will turn some people off and they wont complete the program.
- Phase One (Ignite) can be a major problem for some people. This phase could exacerbate acid reflux and constipation issues. If you have any problems with one these issues, I would suggest adjusting your macros accordingly. DO NOT start with your fat macro being at 70%, start lower….. a lot lower. Really listen to your body.
- Phase Three (Renew) can cause weight gain for some people. Most of this weight gain is minimal and more then likely just extra water due to the complex carbs. However, this could be a deterent for some people. Especially those who are struggling with a dieter’s mind.
To Sum Up My 131 Online Program Experience
The 131 online program has helped me to really understand how the body works and how it can respond and react to certain foods.
I am so VERY in-tune with my body now and know when something I’ve eaten is causing me problems and possible inflammation.
When I make unhealthy food choices, like eating copious amounts of chocolate and baked goods, I sleep horribly and then wake up feeling bloated and puffy and sometimes even slightly nauseous.
A great side effect for me on this program has been weight loss! Losing weight was not something I was trying to do, but it has been great to have my clothes fit just a little bit better and to see more muscle definition in my body.
The pros of this program for me, far outweigh the cons.
I highly recommend giving this online program a try. If you are tired of the dieting/weight loss/weight gain yoyo; if you want to stop your sugar craving; if you are looking to balance your hormones….this program is WORTH the time and effort!
You have nothing to lose (except perhaps a bit of weight) and EVERYTHING to gain (like in-depth knowledge of how your body works best).
Have you done the 131 online program? If you have, leave a comment below and let me know YOUR experience!
The Gut Nerd